Mash Tun 2.0 - Sparge Arm

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Mash Tun 2.0 - Sparge Arm

So now that I have a nice new false bottom for my mash tun, it's time to go ahead and make a sparge arm that works. No more shower heads, no more hoses with holes in them. It's time for the real deal.

After working with the copper on my false bottom, I decided to go ahead and make a sparge arm out of copper. It was pretty easy to work with and only took me an hour or so to get all put together. The supplies were actually quite reasonable as well. The copper was only like $3.99 and all the little parts were $.59 a piece. Total I would say it was about $10.

As you can see from the pictures above, it's a pretty simple design. There are 3 T's all in the middle and 4 corners. Everything is 1/2 inch again. the square is 6" x 6". This makes two 6" long pieces on the sides pictured and 6 2 3/4" pieces (something like that) that fit the T's together.

As you can see from the pictures, I used a 3-way connector to make a PVC support bracket for the sparge arm. It's pretty much that simple. Cut 3 chunks of 1/2" PKC and connect them via a 3way connector. The sparge arm is pictured with rope holding it in place, but I wound up using a coat hanger. If I get a butane torch and some solder, I will make the end of the sparge arm into a hook shape so it will attach to the PVC, but this will work for now.

If you reference back to the picture at the top, you will notice that I put 1/2" rubber hose over the copper. I did this via bruit force and hot water. I am not all that confident in this aspect of the setup, but as I type this, I remembered that there is a chunk of garden hos I have been planning on using for something that might work AWESOME for this. We will see.

either way, I ran water through it, works fine. I did the vinegar thing I had reference in the previous post. Things should be pretty good. Here is the shopping list:

2' Copper 1/2" tube (should have gotten more, luckily I had some left over) $3.99
4 Corner pieces $2.20
3 T's $1.79
PVC 3 way $.20
3' 1/2" PVC (Had it, but it ain't expensive)

Total - Umm, ~$7

Feel free to shoot me a note if you have any questions.


Adam said...

Cool. I'd love to hear about how it works.

Travis said...

Saturday is the big day with my mash tun 2.0, I am pretty fired up.

Ted Danyluk said...

That's a pretty elaborate contraption. Impressive craftmanship.

My understanding of the physics of fly sparging is that the outflow is equal to the inflow, and there is a 1-2" layer of wort/water above the level of grain.

As long as you have a slow rate of flow without a strong singular stream, then the 1-2" water layer instantaneously diffuses the inflow sparge water. So a great distribution of water isn't totally necessary. Perhaps a simple "T" shape with a few small holes along the bottom half of the tube.

You just don't want the grainbed to be exposed, nor a strong singular (waterfall) stream of sparge water.

I'd like to know how it works and how you like it.

Travis said...

Yea it's a bit elaborate, but when you start looking at the problem (creating a shower over your grain bed) with a blank slate, there are a whole bunch of issues. For example, for one of my little experiments I could not come up with a way to hang it over the mash tun.

Anyway, I have been chin-sing out on this for a while and decided 'if you're gunna be a bear be a grizzly' or perhaps a more appropriately a growler.